Prep Time : 15 mins
Cook Time : 10 mins
Total Time : 25 mins
- 1 cup cooked rice (tightly packed)
- ½ cup mashed potatoes (tightly packed) or 1 medium to large potato – boiled, peeled and mashed
- ⅓ cup onion (finely chopped) or 1 medium-sized
- 1 green chili chopped or ½ to 1 teaspoon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves
- 1 pinch turmeric powder (ground turmeric)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (or cayenne pepper or paprika)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (ground cumin)
- ½ teaspoon Coriander Powder (ground coriander)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon Garam Masala
- 3 tablespoon gram flour (besan) or chickpea flour
- salt as required
- 3 tablespoons oil for shallow frying or as required
Making rice cutlet mixture
Take all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, except oil.
Mix very well. Check the taste and add more of the ground spice powders or salt if needed.
Mix everything very well. When you are mixing, the rice will also get mashed.
Shape the mixture into small to medium sized patties or tikkis.
Frying rice cutlet
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a frying pan or tawa (skillet). Keep the heat to medium low to medium hot.
When the oil becomes medium hot, place the rice cutlets on the tawa.
When the base is lightly browned, flip them using a spatula and fry the other side.
Flip again and fry till they are crisp and golden. You will have to flip them a couple of times for even cooking.
When nicely crisp and golden, remove them and place them on kitchen paper towel so that any extra oil is absorbed if any.
Serve Rice Cutlet hot with coriander chutney or mint chutney or tomato ketchup.