Prep Time : 1 hr 15 mins
Cook Time : 15 mins
Total Time : 1 hr 30 mins
For pizza crust
- 3 to 3.25 cups all-purpose flour or bread flour (unbleached), 375 grams
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water or add as required
- 1.5 teaspoons instant yeast 4 to 5 grams or 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt or add as required
- 1 to 2 teaspoons olive oil for brushing dough
- semolina or cornmeal (makki ka atta) or all-purpose flour for sprinkling on pan
For pizza sauce
- 5 to 6 medium tomatoes – 500 grams
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic or 8 to 10 small to medium garlic cloves, 5 grams peeled garlic
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped basil or 3 to 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano or 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- freshly crushed black pepper or ground black pepper, as required
- salt as required
- 1 onion sliced or cut in cubes
- 1 capsicum (bell pepper), sliced or cubed
- 1 tomato chopped or sliced – optional
- 10 to 12 pitted green olives sliced, optional
- 10 to 12 pitted black olives sliced, optional
- ½ cup steamed sweet corn kernels or canned corn kernels
- ⅓ cup sliced baby corn
- ⅓ to ½ cup sautéed kale
- ⅓ cup sautéed spinach
- ⅓ to ½ cup cauliflower, fennel, brussel sprouts, cabbage (steamed, roasted or sautéed)
- ½ to 1 cup sautéed button mushrooms
- ⅓ to ½ cup broccoli or french beans (blanched or sautéed)
- Italian seasoning – as required
- mozzarella cheese or pizza cheese, as required
- parmesan cheese (vegetarian), as required
- red chili flakes – as required
Making pizza dough
In a large mixing bowl take the instant yeast, sugar and lukewarm water.
Stir and let the mixture sit at room temperature for 10 to 15 mins till it becomes frothy,
Add one cup flour, salt, olive oil to the frothy yeast mixture.
Mix well. Add another cup of flour and mix again. The mixture becomes sticky.
Add the last cup of flour and continue to stir.
Knead the dough into a smooth, springy ball. Apply some olive oil all over the dough.
Cover loosely and keep in a large bowl at room temperature for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
The dough will double up and nicely leaven.
Making pizza sauce
Crush or make a smooth puree of the tomatoes in a blender.
Heat olive oil. Fry the minced garlic for some seconds. Add the tomato puree. Mix and let cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
Season with salt and mix. Cover and simmer the tomato sauce on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have softened.
If the sauce looks too thick you can add ¼ cup water. Then cover and continue to cook.
Add the herbs and crushed black pepper. Mix well.
Assembling and baking veg pizza
Preheat your oven at 230 degrees Celsius (450 degrees Fahrenheit) for 20 minutes.
Cut the dough in 3 or 4 equal parts. Flatten the dough to a disk. On a lightly floured surface roll the dough having ⅛ to ¼ inch thickness.
Place the dough onto a greased and dusted pan.
Brush some olive oil on the pizza base. Spread the tomato sauce on the pizza.
Top shredded mozzarella cheese and veggies.
Sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese.
Keep the tray near or close to the bottom heating element of your oven.
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes at 230 degrees Celsius (450 degrees Fahrenheit) until the base becomes golden brown and the cheese on top melts.
Wait for a minute or two and serve veggie pizza while still hot.