Prep Time : 45 mins
Cook Time : 15 mins
Total Time : 1 hr
For the dabeli masala
- 1 dry red chilli
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds or ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ inch cinnamon
- 2 to 3 cloves
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
For the red chilli garlic chutney
- 1 to 2 red chillies (seeds and stalks removed), soaked in hot water for 20 to 30 minutes
- ⅓ cup garlic cloves – peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- salt to taste
For potato filling
- 3 potatoes (medium-sized) – boiled, peeled and mashed
- ⅓ cup onions – finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dabeli masala
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons Tamarind Chutney
- 2 to 3 tablespoons grated coconut – fresh or desiccated, optional
- 2 to 3 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons water – optional
For serving dabeli
- 4 to 5 Pav or burger buns, sliced in equal halves and lightly roasted in some butter or oil
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
- ¼ cup sev – finer variety
- ¼ cup pomegranate arils
- chilli garlic chutney (prepared as mentioned in the recipe), as needed
- Tamarind Chutney – as required
Making dabeli masala powder
Dry roast the red chili, cumin, cloves, cinnamon and coriander seeds in a small frying pan or skillet until fragrant and lightly toasted.
Transfer to a plate and set aside to cool.
When cooled, add all the ingredients in a dry grinder or coffee-grinder.
Grind to a fine powder. Set aside.
Preparing the red chilli garlic chutney
Remove the stems and seeds from 1 to 2 dry red chillies. Soak the chillies in hot water for 20 to 30 minutes. When the chillies soften, drain the water.
In a small mixer-grinder or blender, add the soaked red chilies, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Grind or blend to a fine and smooth paste.
Add water if needed while blending. Keep aside.
Making potato stuffing
Boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker or Instant pot or in a pan on the stovetop with water until fork tender.
Peel and mash them. Set aside.
In a frying pan or wok(kadai), heat oil. Add cumin seeds and let them crackle.
Then add chopped onions and fry the onions till they become soft.
Add asafoetida/hing and fry for a few seconds on a low heat.
Add the sweet Tamarind chutney to the onions and mix well.
Add the mashed potatoes and again stir to combine to get an even mixture.
Add the prepared dabeli masala powder to the mashed potatoes. Mix well and add salt.
Cook for 2 to 3 minutes stirring the mixture often.
If the mixture looks a little dry then add 1 or 2 tablespoons of water. When done, spread the potato filling on a plate.
Sprinkle some grated coconut on the potato filling.
Add chopped coriander leaves on top.
Next add pomegranate seeds or grapes or both. Keep the potato filling aside.
Assemble all the ingredients mentioned under the list “For Serving Dabeli” in one place.
Apply the sweet tamarind chutney on one halve of the pav or burger bun and the red garlic chutney on the other halve.
Take a portion of the potato filling and place it on top of one of the halves of the pav or bun.
Add some chopped onions and coriander leaves
Top it up with some roasted peanuts and pomegranate seeds.
Sprinkle some dabeli masala also. Lastly top it with sev.
Cover with the other halve of pav or bun.
Prepare the remaining dabeli pav in the same way and serve warm.